When it comes to picking up the cheque on a date, I’ve always been quite transparent about my feelings – and for those of you who don’t yet know what they are, I’ll make it brief – I struggle to think of anything more of a turn off than a man asking to split the bill on a first date.
That’s not to say I think he should cough up throughout the whole relationship, in fact, I’m all for splitting things down the middle further down the line, but, if you’re going to invite a girl out for dinner, then, please, leave the calculator at home.
Anyway, given my fairly black and white views on the subject, I am keen to see how others stand on the debate – so I welcomed some interesting facts and figures from my friends over at The Inner Circle on the subject of money and dating.
To some it might make for awkward reading – but to others (ie. me) it’s welcome reassurance that I’m not the only one who gets grossed out when a date ends with a debate over who ordered a dessert.
The awkward truth
- The majority of women find it unattractive if a man earns less than them.
- Over 40% of women won’t go on a second date with a man who splits the bill on a first date.
- Women are snobbier about their partner having a university education than men are!
The Pay Gap
- Rather refreshingly, 95.7% of men who answered The Inner Circle survey said they aren’t bothered about dating a woman who earns more than them. However, interestingly, over 60% of women admit that they find it unattractive if a man earns less than them (60.6%)
- 72.5% of women admitted that they will offer to pay the bill on a first date, even when they have no intention of doing so. But only 50% of men said they expect a woman to offer to split the bill on a first date.
- 41.7% of the women who answered the survey, also admitted they would go on a second date with a man who expected to split the bill.
- And despite beliefs that single Londoners are going on more and more dates these days, only 4.3% of the men surveyed go on more than one date a week.
The Ivy League
When asked which professions they find most attractive, 25.8% of female Inner Circle members answered ‘Entrepreneur’. Finance received 21.7% of the vote, and Medicine 18.3%. Only one woman found marketing the most attractive profession.
The Inner Circle is an exclusive network for successful and attractive singles. Members can connect through the app, the website and exclusive events in the most sought after locations in town!